The soonest we can get a US Passport delivered to you is five days from today

New Child Passport

Eligibility Requirements

For children, under the age of 16 who:
  • never had a passport; or
  • lost a valid passport; or
  • whose passport has expired; or
  • who has a damaged passport.

I. Proof of Citizenship

  • Certified Birth Certificate with Raised Seal
  • Old Passport
  • Use Both the Expired Passport and the Birth Certificate when you have both.

II. Photo Requirements

One passport photo (2×2 with white background)

Click here for Photo Requirements Eyeglasses are not allowed.

Do you have a Picture Perfect Passport?

Please read the Photo Requirements as Rejected photos are the top reason for Passports being delayed.

Locate a Photo Store near you

III. Establish Parental Relationship, with the following:

  • Both parents’ Valid Driver’s License with photo or passport.

Children 14 or 15 may present one of the following:

  • Child’s ID (Driver’s learner permit if available).
  • Student ID with picture.
  • Other State Department-approved identification.

IV. Parents must have the child’s Social Security Number

The Social Security Number of the child should be provided by the parent/s, or proof that an application has been made for the child. A social security card is NOT required, but the social security number is on the DS11 application. Parents of newborn babies who don’t have a Social Security Number can just write in zeroes in the social security data field of the DS11 application.


If one parent is not available, then:

Parent who can not be present can complete DS­3053: Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 in front of a notary.

V. Gather and checklist the following documents

  1. Certified Birth Certificate is required and/ or an old child passport
  2. A valid driver’s license for each parent.
  3. Two (2) copies of U S. Government form: DS­11 Passport Application with 2­D barcode (on top left margin of the form).
  4. One (1) copy of the airline itinerary or proof of departure.
  5. One (1) passport photo.
  6. One (1) Client’s Letter of Authorization. (Signed in black or blue ink, by both parents when available, with the child’s name inserted).
  7. U.S. Government Fee. $181.36 Bank Cashier’s Check or Money Order. Made out to the US Department of State – Print the child’s name and birth date on the Bank Cashier’s Check or Money Order (Starter or temporary checks are not allowed)

VI. Passport Application Form

DS11 form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the parent’s of the child, and by the child (if old enough to sign) before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept hand­written DS­11 applications.

Print 2 copies of your typed DS­11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope - and/or placed inside the FedEx envelope. If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS­64 Form. Think hard if you had applied for and lost a Child passport in the last 5 years.

When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.

IMPORTANT: One Signed DS-11 Passport Application Form must be sealed INSIDE the government envelope by the Acceptance Agent.

See Section 7 below for reference.

Example of 2D Barcode on Form

Bar Code Example

IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS­11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.

VII. Authorization Letter

Complete one (1) Letter of Authorization with original signatures.

IMPORTANT: The Letter of Authorization must be filled out and signed by the parent of the child applicant and the name of the child must be inserted into the LOA and in black ink. The courier company name should be written in pen in the blank line above where you sign your name in black or blue ink at the bottom. Both parents must sign the LOA when available

VIII. Proof of Departure

Computer-generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket, or a corporate letter for business travel. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. Two copies of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.

X. US Government Fees

Children: $181.36 payment to the US Department of State - either a Bank Check or a Money Order. Print the name and the birthdate of the child applicant on the Memo Line of the Money Order or Bank Check No Personal Checks. The $181.36 payment includes return Priority Mail to the address on your application and into your mailbox with Overnight Shipping and Tracking. 

A separate $35 payment - in any form - is made to the Acceptance Agent at the post office or courthouse. 

Please Note: 2-5 Days Urgent Service customers processed in San Francisco can only write a $160 Personal Check - to the US Department of State - if their $160 check has their name and birthdate printed on the check and it matches the last name of the child on the application. Otherwise, you can only use a US Postal Money Order for $160 to the US Department of State. Print child’s name and birthdate on the Check or Money Order. Passports in San Francisco are picked up at Will Call and shipped with FedEx for $50.00.

X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment, and receive the Shipping Address

Call (800) 238­-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.

Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.

Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is non­refundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with the instructions provided.

How fast do you need your US Passport?

  • Urgent: 2 - 4 Days + Shipping Time $499 ... + $21 credit card processing fee
  • Rush: 5 - 15 Days + Shipping Time $399 ...  + $21 credit card processing fee

  • Processing and Shipping Times are based on Business Days. State Department and Government fees are not included.

XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent

Both parents must visit the Acceptance Agent (AA).

The AA will assist when you sign the DS-­11 Passport Application at the designated AA office – at a post office or courthouse.

First, check here to find the nearest Acceptance Agent to you, either at a post office, a courthouse or library.

IMPORTANT: (You can’t renew an expired child’s passport – but you can use the expired child passport and the certified birth certificate to prove citizenship).

  • Both the Expired Passport and the Birth Certificate Are Required.

If one parent is not available, then:

Parent who can not be present can complete DS­3053: Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 in front of a notary. If the parent is deceased a Certified Death Certificate can be submitted. In case of divorce, a parent can submit Certified Divorce Papers, which gives them full custody. When you have an absent parent and the DS3053 is used, please let Legal Passport know so we can verify the DS3053 for you.

What happens at the AA office?

The Acceptance Agent will:

  • Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS­-11 application form.
  • Record information from your driver’s license and attach child photo to DS­-11.
  • Insert Certified Birth Certificate or expired passport.
  • Insert Letter of Authorization and $181.36 Bank Cashier’s Check or Money Order in Government Envelope. For processing in San Francisco, your payment will be $160 and only in the form of a US Postal Money Order or personal check that is solid.
  • Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.

The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using a courier service for the ‘Hand­ Carry.’

  • The Hand ­Carry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule. The Hand Carry is what you are doing to get a fast passport.
  • You FedEx the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to the Courier.

XII. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope

The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.

DO NOT include the 2nd copy of the DS-11 or payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the copy of the DS-11 separate from the AA who seals the envelope. The 2nd copy of the DS-11 must go outside the Sealed Envelope but inside the FedEx envelope.

  • DS-­11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
  • Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
  • Photocopy of the front and back of each of the parent’s driver’s license or state I D or foreign passport.
  • One Client Letter of Authorization filled out with child’s name and signed by both parents.
  • Travel itinerary or company letter.
  • One (1) photo.
  • Bank Cashier’s Check or Money Order made payable to: US Department Of State for $181.36.
  • Print child’s name and birthdate on check.

The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.

The 2nd unsigned DS 11 may be paper-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Application Form Envelope. In any case, it must be included in the FedEx envelope. (see section 13 for reference).

XIII. FedEx Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Courier

Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:

  1. Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
  2. 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on top left margin.
  3. One copy of Travel itinerary or company letter.

IMPORTANT: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + the one copy.

Call (800) 238-­6662 for the shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.

You are required to report the tracking number when you ship.

Reserve your Passport Courier appointment!

Passport Specialist are available weekdays from 7 am to 5 pm pst, and Saturday 9 am – 5 pm pst