New U.S. Passport for Adult ­ – Eligibility Requirements


For Urgent or Emergency Passport Service, please call Legal Passport at (800) 238­ 6662 to Reserve Your 24-Hour/Same-Day Passport Appointment in the Passport Agency.

For individuals 16 years of age and older who:

  • never had a passport; or
  • lost a valid passport; or
  • passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
  • most recent passport is damaged or mutilated; or
  • most recent US passport was issued prior to 16th birthday

I. Proof of Citizenship


Certified birth certificate or naturalization certificate, an old child passport, or a passport issued over 15 years ago. You can order a birth certificate or other vital record here:  order a birth certificate.

II. Proof of Identification


Either a current and valid driver’s license with photo, good for the past year, or a state I D with photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity when you apply for a US Passport in front of a Passport Acceptance Agent. Print a photocopy of the front and back of either your driver’s license or state I D to the Acceptance Agent. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of supplemental IDs.

III. Photo Requirements


One passport photo (2×2 with white background)

Click here for Photo Requirements  Eyeglasses are not allowed.

Do you have a Picture Perfect Passport?

Please read the Photo Requirements as Rejected photos are the top reason for Passports being delayed.

IV. Passport Application Form


Complete DS­11 Form with required barcode on top left hand margin.

This form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the applicant before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept hand­written DS­11 applications. When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.

Print 2 copies of your typed DS­11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope.  If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS­64 Form.

IMPORTANT: 1 set of DS-11 Passport application forms must be sealed INSIDE the government envelope by the Acceptance Agent.

See Section 7 below for reference.

Example of 2D Barcode on Form


IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS­11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.

V. Authorization Letter


Complete two (2) Letters of Authorization with original signatures. One will go inside the sealed government envelope, and the other will go outside and in the FedEx shipping envelope.

IMPORTANT: The Letter of Authorization must be signed by the applicant and in black ink.

VI. Proof of Departure


Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter for business travel Business letter Sample. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks, unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.

VII. US Government Fees


Adults: $170.00 payment in the form of a personal check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made out to the US Department of State ­ the check is included with the DS­11 form inside the Sealed Government Envelope. Print applicant’s name and birthdate on the check or money order. A $35.00 payment is made to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.

VIII. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive Shipping Address


Call (800) 238­-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.

Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.

Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is non­refundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with instructions provided.

How fast do you need your US Passport? 24 hours?

$375Emergency: 1 day + shipping *
$350Urgent: 2­ days + shipping *
$250Rush: 3 to 6 days + shipping *
$175Regular: 7 + days + shipping *
$40.00* Return FedEx Shipping.

State Department and Government fees not included.

Passport Replacement Insurance for only $15.95.

LegalPassport Order Consent Policy

IX. Visit an Acceptance Agent


The Acceptance Agent (AA) will assist when you sign the DS­11 Passport Application at the designated AA office – at a post office or courthouse.

First, check here to find the nearest Acceptance Agent to you, either at a post office, a courthouse or library.

What happens at the AA office?

The Acceptance Agent will:

  • Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS­11 application form.
  • Record information from your driver’s license and attach photo to DS­11.
  • Insert Letter of Authorization and $170 check (starter checks are not accepted) in Government Envelope.
  • Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
  • The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using Legal Passport, a courier service, for the ‘Hand­Carry.’
  • You overnight the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to Legal Passport (see below).
  • The Hand­Carry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule.

X. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope


The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.

Sealed government envelope documents include the following:

  • DS­11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
  • Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
  • Copy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state ID.
  • One Client Letter of Authorization filled out and signed.
  • Travel itinerary or company letter.
  • One (1) photo.
  • Check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made payable to: US Department of State for $170.00.
    Print applicant’s name and birthdate on check.
  • The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.

DO NOT include the copies or payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the copies separate from the AA who seals the envelope.

The copies for the Letter of Authorization, Itinerary, and the bar-coded but unsigned DS 11 copies may be paper­-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Government Envelope. In any case, those copies must be in the FedEx envelope for Legal Passport.

XI. Fedex Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Passport Courier


Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:

  1. Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
  2. 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on top left margin.
  3. 2nd Copy of Travel Evidence.
  4. 2nd Copy of Letter of Authorization.

IMPORTANT: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.

Call (800) 238-­6662 for shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report tracking number when you ship.

COVID-19 UPDATE: The State Department is closer to Reopening Dates of either July 5th or July 15th. We will post the verified Reopening Date when we know.