New U.S. Passport for Adult – Eligibility Requirements
For individuals 16 years of age and older who:
- never had a passport; or
- lost a valid passport; or
- passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
- most recent passport is damaged or mutilated; or
- most recent US passport was issued prior to 16th birthday
II. Proof of Identification
Either a current and valid driver’s license with photo, good for the past year, or a state I D with photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity when you apply for a US Passport in front of a Passport Acceptance Agent. Print a photocopy of the front and back of either your driver’s license or state I D to the Acceptance Agent. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of supplemental IDs.
IV. Passport Application Form
Complete DS11 Form with required barcode on top left hand margin.
This form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the applicant before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept handwritten DS11 applications. When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.
Print 2 copies of your typed DS11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope. If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS64 Form.
IMPORTANT: 1 set of DS-11 Passport application forms must be sealed INSIDE the government envelope by the Acceptance Agent.
See Section 7 below for reference.
Example of 2D Barcode on Form
IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.
V. Authorization Letter
VI. Proof of Departure
Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter for business travel Business letter Sample. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks, unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure must be inside the Sealed Government Envelope so the Agency knows you are leaving within two weeks.
VII. US Government Fees
Adults: Adults: $187.56 personal check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made out to US Department of State. The check is included with the DS11 form inside the Sealed Envelope. The additional $17.56 is for Overnight Priority Mail of the passport to the address on your DS-11 form. Print the applicant’s name and birth date on check or money order. A separate $35.00 payment is also made up front to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.
VIII. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive Shipping Address
Call (800) 238-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.
Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.
Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is nonrefundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with instructions provided.
How fast do you need your US Passport? 24 hours?
IX. Visit an Acceptance Agent
What happens at the AA office?
The Acceptance Agent will:
- Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS11 application form.
- Record information from your driver’s license and attach photo to DS11.
- Insert Letter of Authorization and $187.56 check (starter checks are not accepted) in Government Envelope.
- Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
- The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using Legal Passport, a courier service, for the ‘HandCarry.’
- You overnight the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to Legal Passport (see below).
- The HandCarry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule.
X. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope
The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.
Sealed government envelope documents include the following:
- DS11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
- Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
- Copy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state ID.
- One Client Letter of Authorization filled out and signed.
- Travel itinerary or company letter.
- One (1) photo.
- Check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made payable to: US Department of State for $187.56.
Print applicant’s name and birthdate on check.
- The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.
DO NOT include the extra copy of the DS-11 or the payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the DS-11 copy separate and away from the AA who seals the envelope.
The copy of the unsigned DS 11 may be paper-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Government Envelope. In any case, but must be in the FedEx envelope for Legal Passport.
XI. Fedex Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Passport Courier
Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:
- Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
- 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on top left margin.
- A signed copy of the Legal Passport Refund Policy Doc.
IMPORTANT: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.
Call (800) 238-6662 for shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report tracking number when you ship.