Replace Lost or Stolen US Passport ­– Eligibility Requirements


For Urgent or Emergency Passport Service, please call Legal Passport at (800) 238­ 6662 to Reserve Your 24-Hour/Same-Day Passport Appointment in the Passport Agency.

For individuals who:

  • lost a valid passport; or
  • passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
  • most recent passport is damaged or mutilated; or
  • most recent US passport was issued prior to 16th birthday

Essentially, what you are doing, is replacing and reporting a lost, stolen, or damaged passport – with a new,
adult passport.

I. Proof of Citizenship


Certified birth certificate or naturalization certificate or passport issued over 15 years ago. You can order a birth certificate or other vital record here: order a birth certificate.

II. Proof of Identification


Either a current and valid driver’s license with photo, good for the past year, or a state I D with photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity. Bring a photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state identification to the Acceptance Agent office. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of  supplemental IDs.

III. Photo Requirements


One passport photo (2×2 with white background)

Click here for Photo Requirements  Eyeglasses are not allowed.

Do you have a Picture Perfect Passport?

Please read the Photo Requirements as Rejected photos are the top reason for Passports being delayed.

IV. Passport Application Form


V. DS-64 Form – Report Lost or Stolen Passport


The applicant must complete a DS-64 form to report a lost or stolen passport, and explain how, when, where it got lost and what you did to recover it. If you run out of room on the DS-64, you can use an extra piece of paper to explain.

VI. Authorization Letter


Complete One (1) Letter of Authorization with original signatures.

IMPORTANT:  The Letter of Authorization (LOA) must be signed by the applicant and in black ink. The LOA will go inside the Government envelope. The courier company name is required by the government and should be printed or written in black pen on the line above where you sign your name.

VII. Proof of Departure


Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter for business travel.  Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks, unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.

VIII. Condition of Passport


IMPORTANT: If the applicant is submitting a damaged passport for replacement, a signed statement to the US Department of State must be included explaining the condition of the passport.

IX. US Government Fees


Adults: $187.56 payment in the form of a personal check or money order made out to the US Department of State included with the DS­11 form inside the Sealed Envelope. Print the applicant’s name and birth date on the check or money order. This amount includes $17.56 for the Priority Mail return of the passport to the address on your DS-11 form. A separate $35.00 payment is paid to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.

X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive Shipping Address


Call (800) 238­-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.

Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.

Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is non­refundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with instructions provided.

How fast do you need your US Passport?

N/AEmergency: 1 day + shipping *
N/AUrgent: 2­ days + shipping *
$500Rush: 3 to 6 days + shipping *
$450Regular: 7 + days + shipping *
n/a* Return FedEx Shipping.

State Department and Government fees not included.

Passport Replacement Insurance for only $15.95.

LegalPassport Order Consent Policy

XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent


The Acceptance Agent (AA) will assist when you sign the DS­11 Passport Application at the designated AA office – at a post office or courthouse.

First, check here to find the nearest Acceptance Agent to you, either at a post office, a courthouse or library.

What happens at the AA office?

The Acceptance Agent will:

  • Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS­11 application form.
  • Record information from your driver’s license and attach photo to DS­11.
  • Insert Letter of Authorization and $187.56 check (starter checks are not accepted) in Government Envelope.
  • Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
  • The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using Legal Passport, a courier service, for the ‘Hand-­Carry.’
  • You overnight FedEx the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to Legal Passport (see below).
  • The Hand­-Carry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule.

XII. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope


The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.

Sealed envelope documents include the following:

  • DS­11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
  • Completed and signed DS-64 form.
  • Photocopy of the front and back of driver’s license.
  • Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
  • One Client Letter of Authorization filled out and signed.
  • Travel itinerary or company letter.
  • One (1) photo.
  • Check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made payable to: US Department Of State for $187.56.
    Print applicant’s name and birthdate on check.
  • The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.

DO NOT include the 2nd copy of the DS-11 or the payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the 2nd copy of the DS-11 separate and away from the AA who seals the envelope.

The 2nd copy of the DS 11 may be paper­-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Government Envelope. In any case, it must be in the FedEx envelope for Legal Passport.

XIII. Fedex Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Passport Courier.


Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:

  1. Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
  2. 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on top left margin.
  3. Signed Legal Passport Refund Policy

IMPORTANT: Note: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.

Call (800) 238-­6662 for shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report tracking number when you ship.

September 27th is the soonest we can have a US Passport in your hands by.
24-Hour Service is suspended due to COVID-19 government restrictions.