Name Changes and Data Amendment

Eligibility Requirements

For individuals currently holding a U.S. Passport who:

  • have undergone a name change; or
  • have a data error on their current U.S Passport; or
  • have a printing error on their current U.S Passport; or
  • have made changes to their sex or gender identity

I. Proof of Name Change

An original or certified name change document such as

  • marriage certificate
  • divorce decree
  • court order

II. Proof of Identification

A current and valid driver’s license with a photo, good for the past year, or a state ID with photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity. Bring a photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state identification to the Acceptance Agent office. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of  supplemental IDs.

III. Photo Requirements

Two passport photos (2×2 with white background)
Click here for Photo Requirements  Eyeglasses are not allowed.
Do you have a Picture Perfect Passport?

Please read the Photo Requirements as Rejected photos are the top reason for Passports being delayed.

Locate a Photo Store near you

IV. DS-5504 Form – Name Change, Data Amendments, Errors

The applicant must complete a DS-5504 form to request a name change, data amendment, or to report a data or printing error, and provide verifiable documentation supporting the requested or reported amendments.

V. Authorization Letter

Complete two (2) Letters of Authorization with original signatures.

IMPORTANT:  The Letter of Authorization must be signed by the applicant and in black ink. One will go inside the Government envelope and the other in the FedEx shipping envelope. The courier company name is required by the government and should be written in pen on the blank line above where you sign your name at the bottom.

VI. Completed DS-60 – Affidavit Regarding Change of a Name.


If your name change cannot be verified through a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order, you will be required to submit a DS-60 form. The DS-60 must be completed by two individuals who have known you by both names. You must also submit three certified or original public records that show you have used the new name for 5 years or more

VII. Your most recent U.S Passport

In good condition, not damaged or mutilated

VIII. US Government Fees

A check or money order made out to the U.S Department of State for $60

VIIII. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive the Shipping Address

Call (800) 238­-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.

Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.

Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is non­refundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with the instructions provided.

How fast do you need your US Passport?

State Department and Government fees are not included.

LegalPassport Order Consent Policy

The soonest we can get a US Passport delivered to you is March 29, 2023.