Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport
For Urgent or Emergency Passport Services, please call Legal Passport at (800) 238 6662 to Reserve Your 48-Hour Passport Appointment in the Passport Agency.
For individuals who:
- Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport
- passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
- most recent passport is damaged or mutilated; or
- most recent US passport was issued prior to 16th birthday
Essentially, what you are doing, is replacing and reporting a lost, stolen, or damaged passport – with a new adult passport.
- I. Proof of Citizenship
- II. Proof of Identification
- III. Photo Requirements
- IV. Passport Application Form
- V. DS-64 Form – Report Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport
- VI. Authorization Letter
- VII. Proof of Departure
- VIII. Condition of Passport
- IX. US Government Fees
- X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment, and receive the Shipping Address
- XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent
- XII. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope
- XIII. FedEx Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Courier
I. Proof of Citizenship
II. Proof of Identification
Either a current and valid driver’s license with a photo, good for the past year, or a state I D with a photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity. Bring a photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state identification to the Acceptance Agent office. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of supplemental IDs.
III. Photo Requirements
IV. Passport Application Form
Complete DS11 Form with required barcode on top left-hand margin.
This form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the applicant before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept handwritten DS11 applications. When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.
Print 2 copies of your typed DS11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope – and/or placed inside the FedEx envelope. If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS64 Form. Think hard if you had applied for and lost a passport in the last ten years.
IMPORTANT: One DS-11 Passport Application Form must be sealed INSIDE the government envelope by the Acceptance Agent.
See Section 7 below for reference.
Example of 2D Barcode on Form
IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.
V. DS-64 Form – Report Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport
The applicant must complete a DS-64 form to report a lost or stolen passport, and explain how, when, where it got lost and what you did to recover it. If you run out of room on the DS-64, you can use an extra piece of paper to explain.
VI. Authorization Letter
Complete One (1) Letter of Authorization with original signatures.
IMPORTANT: The Letter of Authorization (LOA) must be filled out and signed by the applicant and in black ink. The LOA will go inside the Government envelope. The courier company name is required by the government and should be printed or written in black pen on the line above where you sign your name.
VII. Proof of Departure
Computer-generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket, or a corporate letter for business travel. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.
VIII. Condition of Passport
IMPORTANT: If the applicant is submitting a damaged passport for replacement, a signed statement to the US Department of State must be included explaining the condition of the passport
IX. US Government Fees
Adults: $209.53 payment to the US Department of State – either a Bank Check or a Money Order. Print the name and the birthdate of the applicant on the Memo Line of the Money Order or Bank Check No Personal Checks. The $209.53 payment includes return Priority Mail to the address on your application and into your mailbox with Overnight Shipping and Tracking.
A separate $35 payment – in any form – is made to the Acceptance Agent at the post office or courthouse.
Please Note: 2-5 Days Urgent Service customers processed in San Francisco can only write a $190 Personal Check – to the US Department of State – if their $190 check has their name and birthdate printed on the check and it matches their name on the application. Otherwise, you can only use a US Postal Money Order for $190 to the US Department of State. Print name and birthdate on the Check or Money Order. Passports in San Francisco are picked up at Will Call and shipped with FedEx for $50.00.
X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment, and receive the Shipping Address
Call (800) 238-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.
Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.
Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is nonrefundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with the instructions provided.
How fast do you need your US Passport?
- Urgent: 2 – 5 Days + Shipping Time $720
- Rush: 6 – 20 Days + Shipping Time $620
Processing and Shipping Times are based on Business Days.
State Department and Government fees are not included
XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent
The Acceptance Agent (AA) will assist when you sign the DS11 Passport Application at the designated AA office – at a post office or courthouse.
First, check here to find the nearest Acceptance Agent to you, either at a post office, a courthouse, or a library.
What happens at the AA office?
The Acceptance Agent will:
- Have you signed and then countersign and stamp the DS11 application form.
- Record information from your driver’s license and attach a photo to DS11.
- Insert Letter of Authorization and $209.53 Bank Cashier’s Check or Money Order. in the Government Envelope. The check includes $19.53 for return Overnight Priority Mail into your mailbox.
- Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
- The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using a courier service for the ‘Hand Carry.’
- The Hand Carry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule. The Hand Carry is what you are doing to get a fast passport.
- You FedEx the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to the Courier.
XII. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope
The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.
Sealed envelope documents include the following:
- DS11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
- Completed and signed DS-64 form.
- Photocopy of the front and back of driver’s license.
- Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
- One Client Letter of Authorization filled out and signed.
- Travel itinerary or company letter.
- One (1) photo.
- Bank Cashier’s Check or Money order made payable to: US Department Of State for $209.53.
Print the applicant’s name and birthdate on check.
- The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.
DO NOT include the 2nd copy of the DS-11 or the payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the 2nd copy of the DS-11 separate and away from the AA who seals the envelope.
The 2nd copy of the DS 11 May be paper-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Government Envelope. In any case, it must be in the FedEx envelope for Legal Passport.
XIII. FedEx Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Courier
Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:
- Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
- 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on the top left margin.
- Signed Legal Passport Refund Policy
IMPORTANT: Note: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.
Call (800) 238-6662 for the shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report the tracking number when you ship.
Page Last updated!